- To determine the refractive index of thematerial of prism using sodium light.
- To determine the dispersion power of a prism.
- To determine the resolving power of theprism.
- To determine the wavelength of sodium lightusing a plane diffraction grating.
- To determine the resolving power of a planediffraction grating.
- To verify Cauchys equation.
The working of a spectrometer is based on theprinciple that when light falls on an optical device such as a prism ordiffraction grating each wavelength is refracted or bent by a unique angle. Aprecise spectrum can be determined by measuring the angles at which light isrefracted or bent.